I’ve been eating too much junk food lately (the fault of a road trip and a Cuban bakery), so I was craving some fresh, healthy dinner. And the first thing that popped into my head was roasted chickpeas! I usually cook chickpeas/garbanzo beans in the form of the Indian Chana Masala, but this version is a lot lighter (and easier!).
All you need to do is spice and roast the chickpeas in the oven. You could also easily use a toaster oven.
I have a few favorites for salad – avocados and mini sweet peppers being two of them. The mini sweet peppers add a crunch while also being delicious, and who doesn’t like avocados? I also found Persian Cucumbers at Trader Joe’s today, which go so well with a lemony dressing. Thus was born this salad idea.
For the dressing, I went really simple – some fresh rosemary and thyme in lemon, and a dash of sea salt. I personally love lemon dressings, but even for those who don’t, this is not overpowering once all the ingredients are mixed in.
Tip : Cut and add the avocado at the very end, so that it stays fresh
The fresher your ingredients are the better!
To round out this meal, I also toasted some fresh french bread and made an extra virgin olive oil + Tuscan spices dip. Having a bread knife is such a pleasure!
TANMAYA’S ROASTED CHICKPEA SALAD RECIPE
Serves : 3
- 1 can of Organic Garbanzo Beans / Chickpeas
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder (optional)
- 5-6 mini sweet peppers
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup thyme
- 1/4 cup rosemary
- 1 Persian cucumber
- 1 ripe avocado
- Sea Salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wash and drain the chickpeas. Pat them dry
- Mix the chilli powder, coriander powder sea salt and EVOO in a small bowl.
- Spread this mixture on the chickpeas, on a baking dish. Do not crowd them.
- Put the chickpeas in the oven to roast for roughly 25-30 minutes
- Slice the mini sweet peppers and the Persian cucumber
- Juice the lemon (i.e half a lemon)
- Chop the thyme and rosemary and add them to the lemon juice. This is the salad dressing.
- Once the chickpeas are roasted, cut an avocado.
- To prepare the salad, mix the peppers, cucumber, chickpeas and dressing. Top with fresh avocado
- Enjoy fresh with some toasted bread!